The Trusted Intermediary Global Accessible Resources (TIGAR) project seeks to facilitate cross-border exchange of copyright protected electronic files for books in accessible formats between national libraries and charitable institutions (trusted intermediaries) serving the blind, visually impaired and other persons with print disabilities. One of the benefits of this exchange is to significantly expand the repertoire of adapted works available to individual print disabled persons in their countries in the short term. Increased use of electronic source files from publishers and ongoing exchange of books between Trusted Intermediaries can significantly reduce the costs of production and help further expand the range of accessible books available.
The primary deliverables from the three year pilot project with a target completion date by the end of 2013 include, inter alia:
- An established network of trusted intermediaries (TIs) that are exchanging electronic files of books across borders in accessible formats in a systemized manner using an agreed framework for copyright clearance.
- An ICT component that enables:
- secure and transparent exchange of electronic files between TIs, including those provided by publishers;
- search, discovery and access to books in accessible formats that are available from both TIs and commercial collections; and
- search of ‘work in progress’ information about books that are in the process of being converted to an accessible format by a TI to prevent duplication in production.
- A sustainable business model to support the above on an ongoing basis.
- The National Library of Portugal, a TI in Portugal, signs up the Fast Track MOU (July, 2013).
- The SBS Schweizerische Bibliothek für Blinde, Seh-und Lesebehinderte AG (SBS Swiss Library for the Blind, Visually Impaired and Print Disabled), a TI in Switzerland, signs up the Fast Track MOU (July, 2013).
- The Icelandic Talking Book Library, a TI in Iceland, signs up to the Fast Track MOU (April 2013)
- DAISY Lanka Foundation, a TI in Sri Lanka, signs up the Fast Track MOU (December 2012)
- Pearson Education Korea, a leading publisher for educational and professional materials in Republic of Korea, signs up the Fast Track MOU (December 2012)
- Pearson Turkey, a leading publisher for educational and professional materials in Turkey, signs up the Fast Track MOU (December 2012)
- Pearson Education do Brasil Ltda, and Pearson Education, S.A. leading publishers for educational and professional materials in Brazil and Spain respectively, sign up the Fast Track MOU (December 2012)
- Pearson Education South Asia (Pte) Ltd and Pearson Education Indochina Ltd, leading publishers for educational and professional materials in the Asia-Pacific region, sign up the Fast Track MOU (December 2012)
- Cengage Learning Inc, a leading learning solution provider and publisher of print and digital information services for the academic, professional and library sectors in the US, signs up to the Fast Track MOU (December 2012)
- News Archive